Monday, March 9, 2009

Incorporating Literacy

I gave a "Little Red Riding Hood" assignment this term that has caused me some concern. For this assignment, I passed out a printed version of the tale for the class to read aloud. The print out ended at point where Little Red was walking down the path, alone, to her grandmother's house until she heard "Who goes there?" From this point, students had to create their own ending of the assignment, and they were strongly encouraged to be as creative as possible by not following the traditional story line. I was shocked to see how they struggled at first, but eventually excited as I watched them smile and laugh while they developed an ending. As each class progressed, I became increasingly pleased with the success of the assignment. At the end of the period, volunteers were asked to read their endings - they were excellent.

This assignment was fun and gave students the opportunity to think creatively and independently, which is apparently rarely required of them.

When I read the individual endings to assign points, I was astonished at the poor grammar, punctuation, spelling, syntax, etc. within the papers. The errors were gross. Some were simple and would have likely been corrected if students had re-read their papers; however, some of the errors were so profound, individual student abilities became questionable. The purpose of the assignment was to engage students' creative thinking skills, and I was torn when I graded their papers. I was afraid correcting all of the errors would discourage students from attempting a similar assignment again. However, I believe it is our duty as educators, regardless our content area, to provide effective feedback whenever possible. What would some of you do in this situation?

4 comments:

  1. I think that it is absolutely crucial that every opportunity is taken to teach punctuation and grammar to students. It is amazing how many people out there can barely write their native language. It does not send a good message when what is written is barely legible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully fun activity! Assess the prompt for its creativity, organization, and voice. I was taught to make a couple of corrections but then say to the student "I found this type of error (tense problem, homonyms used incorrectly, etc.) and you need to fix that throughout this writing piece." That way, you are pointing them into the right direction without marking the whole paper. Besides, then YOU have done the correcting, not the student. Remember...do not work harder than they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that - don't work harder than them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great activity. In that particular situation, your expectation was the creativity part. The grammar part can be commented on but not graded. You can also present your expectation for grammar when presenting another writing activity. Present a step-by-step method in proof reading and correcting. You may want to "grade" (check) at each step. It will take more time initially, but the students will better understand your expectations on future projects. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete